The Cast of the Crucifixion
• Simon of Cyrene – pulled from the crowd and forced to carry Jesus’ cross (v 26)
• a great multitude of people and women – mourning and lamenting (v 27)
• two criminals crucified with him – Luke clarified that these were in fact criminals and one criminal admits they they are receiving the due reward for their deeds (v 33)
• people were watching – crucifixions were meant to be a public spectacle (v 35)
• rulers were scoffing (v 35)
• soldiers were mocking (v 36)
• one of the criminals railed at him (v 39)
• the other criminal acknowledged his guilt and placed faith in Jesus – a deathbed confession (v 41-42)
👉 And there was Jesus – who had done nothing wrong (v 41) – hanging on a cross – offering forgiveness (v 34) and salvation (v 43) as he took his final breaths.
Hallelujah – what a savior.
You are loved.