How do we know if we are worshipping an idol or God?
5 TRUTHS ABOUT IDOLS
- Idols become burdens and make us weary (v 1).
- Though we grow weary trying, we can’t save these idols we carry (v 2).
- Idols are man made (v 6).
- Idols can not communicate or answer our cries (v 7).
- Idols can never save us (v 7).
5 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD
- God carries his people (v 3-4).
- God created his people (v 3-4).
- God speaks with his people (v 3, 12).
- God is eternal – the uncreated creator – and knows the end from the beginning (v 10).
- God will always come to the rescue of his people (v 4, 13).
If our worship makes us weary – if it feels like work – if, in moments of anguish, we cry out and get no response – there is probably an idol in our lives.
God is not a burden – he’s a burden taker.
God does not make us weary – he offers the weary rest.
👉 There is something beautifully tender about a Savior who invites us to lay our burdens at his feet – even when those burdens are idols that we’ve made with our own hands.