👉 The First Beast:
• rises from the sea (v 1)
• ten horns with ten diadems (v 1) [authority, political leader]
• seven heads with blasphemous names (v 1)
• like a leopard, bear’s feet, lion’s mouth (v 2)
• given the power, authority, and throne of the dragon (v 2) [dragon = satan]
• one of the heads had a mortal wound that was healed (v 3)
• the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast (v 3) [What causes the world to marvel? Fame, money, physical beauty, charisma, etc]
• they worshipped the dragon and the beast (v 4)
• the beast uttered haughty and blasphemous words (v 5-6)
• allowed to make war with the saints (v 7)
• given authority over everyone whose names were not written in the Lamb’s book of life (v 8 )
• ❗️will require endurance and faith of the saints (v 10)
👉 The Second Beast
• two horns like a lamb but spoke like a dragon (v 11) [like a lamb – religious leader? false prophet?]
• exercises all the authority of the first beast (v 12)
• makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast (v 12)
• performs great signs in front of the people (v 13) [again – doing things to make the people marvel]
• deceives those who dwell on the earth (v 14) [a great deceiver]
• convinces those on the earth to create and worship images of the beast (v 14-15)
• causes all to be marked and without the mark no one can buy or sell (v 16-17)
• ❗️will require wisdom of the saints (v 18)
These two beasts – reminiscent of political and religious leaders – with worldly agendas. Bringing death and deception disguised by charisma and charm.
👉 The saints will need endurance, faith, and wisdom to recognize the enemy at work.
We must be in the Word. We must be so in tune with the Lord that an imposter is obvious.
You are loved. Stand firm.