The seventh and final seal is opened and there are 30 minutes of complete silence in heaven (v 1). This should really make us feel the intensity of the moment as we have already been told that the angels and elders at the throne praise without ceasing.
So imagine – for just a moment – half an hour of silence.
Seven angels then appear and are given seven trumpets.
Another angel appears and offers incense. The smoke from the incense – along with the prayers of the saints – rise to God (v 4).
The angel then throws fire down onto the earth indicating that the coming judgements are in response to the prayers of the saints being offered to God.
If this were a movie – it would be a nail biter, y’all.
👉 Trumpet 1:
• hail and fire, mixed with blood, fall to the earth
• 1/3 of the earth is burned
👉 Trumpet 2:
• a burning mountain is cast into the sea
• 1/3 of the sea turns to blood
👉 Trumpet 3:
• burning star falls from heaven
• 1/3 of the water is made bitter
👉 Trumpet 4:
• the sun, moon, and stars are struck
• 1/3 of the light becomes darkness
Then, an eagle soars above and cries,
“Woe, woe, woe to those who dwell on the earth, at the blasts of the trumpets that the three angels are about to blow” (v 13).
How’s that for a cliffhanger?