👉 John (v 9-11):
• our brother [a fellow believer]
• a partner in tribulation, kingdom, and patient endurance [someone who understood what we are experiencing and also where we are heading]
• was in exile because of his faith [understood persecution]
• surrounded by the Holy Spirit [experienced God’s presence in exile]
• given a message for believers [still had work to do even in exile and old age]
👉 Jesus (v 13-18):
• long robe with golden sash
• hair white like wool, snow
• eyes like a flame of fire
• feet like bronze
• voice like the roar of water
• seven stars in his right hand
• sharp, two edged sword in his mouth
• face like the sun
• first and the last
• the living one
• died and alive forever
• holds the keys to death and hades
👉 More sevens
• seven golden lamp stands = the seven churches
• seven stars = the angels of the seven churches
My favorite descriptor of Jesus in this passage is “a voice like the roar of water”. When I think of roaring water – like waves crashing on the shore – it’s peaceful and powerful all at the same time.
I love that we are given this reminder of who Jesus is before we are told of the things that are to come.
Before we are given a glimpse into the final days and what must take place – before our hearts are tempted to fear – before our minds are tempted to become overwhelmed – Jesus reminds us:
I am peace and I am power.
I am first and I am last.
I died and am now alive forever.
I hold the keys to death, hell, and the grave.
And, knowing these things, we can face the things to come confident and unafraid.