1 John 2:1-27
Day two of joy in the book of 1 John.
👉 Bible study tip: when the author has clearly given you the purpose of his letter, read it in light of that purpose. [For example, every passage in 1 John I’m going to ask – If the goal is complete joy for believers (1:4), what about this passage is supposed to spark joy in me?]
👉 What brings joy to believers?
• not sinning (v 1)
• knowing that – when we do sin – we have an advocate (v 1)
• knowing Jesus paid for our sins (v 2)
• knowing Jesus (v 3)
• imitating Jesus (v 6)
• the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining (v 8 )
• knowing our sins are forgiven (v 12)
• knowing him who was from the beginning (v 12)
• we have overcome the evil one (v 13)
• the word of God abides in us (v 14)
• whoever does the will of God abides forever (v 17)
• we have been anointed by the holy one and have knowledge (v 20)
• we know truth (v 21)
• the promise of eternal life (v 25)
• abiding in him (v 27)
We have reasons to be joyful even in times of great trial.