Who doesn’t love a good lesson on patience? Everybody’s favorite topic, right?!?
When referring to suffering, James said…
• be patient (v 7)
• see how the farmer waits (v 7)
• being patient (v 7)
• be patient (v 8 )
• an example of suffering and patience (v 10)
But – how, James? How are we to do this patience thing you speak of?
- Establish your heart (v 8 )
The word here means to make fast, to fix securely, to put firmly in place. In other words, the anchor must be down before the storm hits.
- Remember that Jesus is coming again (v 8 ).
We endure our hurts by keeping an eye on heaven. The worst trial is temporary. No pain is permanent. Jesus is coming soon and we won’t ever look back.
- Ponder the patience of the prophets (v 10).
We are not alone. Pain is part of the human condition. But Jesus will make all things new.