Paul always ends his epistles (letters) with final instructions. They are always direct and to the point. Were he alive today – he would certainly be the kind to step on your toes unapologetically with the truth. Not to be controversial – but out of love.
Here he addressed three areas of life for the believers.
• should be continual (v 2)
• should be steadfast (v 2)
• should contain thanksgiving (v 2)
• for other believers (v 3)
• for the gospel to spread (v 3)
Walk / Live
• with wisdom (v 5)
• among unbelievers 👉 an assumption that our lives would intersect with people who don’t know the Lord (v 5)
• don’t waste time (v 5)
Speech / Words
• always be gracious (v 6)
• speak clearly (v 4)
• seasoned with salt (v 6)
Think about salt in food.
• adds flavor / interest
• is necessary in virtually every food
• can be over used (!)
• too much is unhealthy (!)
• people have varying amounts that they are comfortable with
• too much overpowers the meal just as too many words can overpower the message
Paul’s words still give us plenty to ponder today. Amen?
You are loved.