This section tells us the desires Paul had for believers and the fears he had for them.
Desires for the Church
• hearts would be encouraged (v 2)
• people would be knit together in love (v 2)
• they would have an understanding and knowledge of Christ (v 2)
• they would have a faith that was firm (v 5)
Fear for the Church
• that the people would be deluded (tricked, deceived, cheated, defrauded) by plausible (persuasive, convincing, seemingly possible) arguments (v 4).
The people were being fed some false teachings and Paul feared the Church would be led astray by them. We certainly see this in the world today. So many teachings that are contrary to truth. And maybe we think we couldn’t be led astray but, if we’re paying attention at all, it is happening to people all around us.
The way to remain steadfast is to remain in the Word. To grow in our understanding and knowledge of Christ.