Affliction – not a fun topic – but a familiar one nonetheless.
Today, we see five positive aspects of affliction.
- Affliction is sometimes a kindness from the Lord that brings us back to his side (v 67).
- Affliction can drive us back to the study of God’s Word (v 71).
- Affliction can have lasting positive effects (it is good – present tense – that I was – past tense.) Even now, the psalmist sees the good in past affliction (v 71).
- Affliction can be a lens through which we see and are reminded of the goodness of God (v 68) when we see his provision and presence in the midst of our pain.
- Affliction can be a great learning experience if we let it (v 71).