It is simply beyond comprehension…that a mother would be given only sixteen minutes with her child. That is all the time that Stacy had with her beautiful son, Isaac. Sixteen minutes. It takes longer to give my girls a bath at night. One night-night story, bedtime prayers, kisses for Ella and Emily and all of their babies…one bedtime routine takes longer than sixteen minutes.
It has really had me thinking today…what would I tell my girls if I only had sixteen minutes with them?
- God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8) Christ died not for “the world” as a whole, but for each person individually. God sent His Son to die so that Emily and Ella could live forever. They were not one of a mass…As Christ died, He knew them by name, could see their sweet faces and offered up His life for them.
- Since you were precious in My sight, you have been honored, And I have loved you. (Isaiah 43:4) I want so much for them to know that they are loved and that they are precious. Not only were they desired by their earthly parents, but God Himself took great delight in their creation.
- For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry. (Hebrews 10:37) Sometimes, life is hard and you wonder if you will make it through. We are told that, in this world, we will have trials…God did not hide this from us. I want to assure my girls to hold fast because He who promised is faithful and, in just a little while, He will come.
- Do not be deceived, my beloved. Every good and perfect gift is from above… (James 1:16-17). The world would have us believe that we are responsible for many of the good things we have in our lives. We worked hard…we persevered…we fought our way to the top, etc. I want the girls to know that every good thing is from God. Were we left to our own devices – we would have nothing.
- The King is enthralled by your beauty, honor Him for He is your Lord. (Psalm 45:11) This verse has been engraved on my heart for quite some time. I want them to know that God is enthralled by their beauty…they are captivating to Him…He sings with delight over them…Oh, that they would find their worth in Christ.
3 thoughts on “Sixteen Minutes”
My heart is ACHING for Stacy and Spencer. We have lost a child- though- through miscarriage. It is pain that no one should have to endure. Thank you for this post- and I definetly echo your sentiments- sixteen minutes is NOT enough.
Sixteen minutes is not enough for us. And I SO cannot even begin to comprehend their grief. But at the same time your post made me think about how GOD HIMSELF is saying those EXACT things to Isaac right now.
JESUS is calling him by name and telling him that he was worth His sacrifice.
GOD is telling Isaac how He delighted in creating him and formed him and knew him before his parents even named him.
GOD is welcoming him home, singing over him right now, and rejoicing with all of heaven.
It doesn’t make the grief any less real when you lose a loved one, especially if we feel it is “before their time,” even though there is no such thing. I definitely know that. But we also know, and his parents know, that he is now completely and totally perfect and that his journey has just begun. That is the hope we all have – that when our journey down here is over, it is not the end, only the beginning.
Great post. I found your blog through Jenni’s. My heart is broken for Stacy and Spencer. Maranatha, Lord Jesus.
Gotta love this fun blog world!
Stephanie from http://www.livininaboysworld.blogspot.com